The MPP Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach when reviewing a candidate’s file for admission. Our holistic approach includes multiple indicators such as the candidate’s past academic performance and professional profile, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. The committee also considers leadership and work experience, internships, and volunteerism, but it is not required for admission. The committee carefully reviews and considers all of these indicators in selecting successful candidates. We encourage students to have completed coursework in statistics, economics, and politics or government. Students from all undergraduate majors are eligible to apply. The GRE is not required.
To apply, you must complete an online application through the UCR Graduate Division website. Applications for Fall 2021 are now open (more information available on the Graduate Division website). You will be required to provide:
- 3 letters of recommendation (at least 1 must be an academic reference)
- Statement of purpose
- The personal statement and statement of purpose are an opportunity for the admissions committee to learn about your interest in public policy, goals for the future, and how your experience (e.g., personal, work, volunteer, leadership) has prepared you for the MPP program. Each statement should be about two pages in length, double spaced, and included as attachments.
- Personal history statement
- Resume with related professional and volunteer experience
- GRE scores (Optional)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores - for international students only
- Official transcripts (Unofficial transcripts are accepted. Due to the pandemic and campus closure, transcripts should be submitted electronically.)
|Please mail official transcripts to:|
University of California, Riverside
School of Public Policy
900 University Avenue
Riverside, CA 92521 USA
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for fall. Apply early to be considered for priority funding.
- GRE not required
Attend admissions events such as college fairs and information sessions where you can learn more about our MPP program:
- Info Sessions
- Recruitment Fairs
Prospective Student Chats
Have questions on the admissions process, application, MPP program? Book an appointment to speak to our Student Affairs Coordinator to have all your questions answered. Appointments are booked in 20-minute increments and will be held via Zoom. Book your appointment today via Microsoft Bookings!